Friday, April 19, 2024

Works don't come first...

but they DO come. They are an expression of our faith. Faith comes first because without it the works have no foundation. James 2:17-20

   " So too, faith, if it does not have works [to back it up], is by itself dead [inoperative and ineffective]." (v. 17)

Had you ever thought and applied this to yourself? If you aren't engaged in the Father's business... what, exactly, are you doing? Just sitting there? Waiting for a flash from Heaven to tell you? Before you get any angrier at me... I'm not pointing fingers! I'm also not telling you what it is you should do. Bottom line is that you are NOT my servant... but you are the Lord's. Do you honestly believe that the gift that's been placed in you is inconsequential?

   "But someone may say, “You [claim to] have faith and I have [good] works; show me your [alleged] faith without the works [if you can], and I will show you my faith by my works [that is, by what I do].” You believe that God is one; you do well [to believe that]. The demons also believe [that], and shudder and bristle [in awe-filled terror—they have seen His wrath]! But are you willing to recognize, you foolish [spiritually shallow] person, that faith without [good] works is useless?" (v. 18-20}

Faith without [good] works is useless... now that's strong. James was, in my opinion, trying to get our attention and point us in the right direction. He's not condemning, he's redirecting. Now read the entire scripture from the Message beginning with verse 14:

   "Dear friends, do you think you’ll get anywhere in this if you learn all the right words but never do anything? Does merely talking about faith indicate that a person really has it? For instance, you come upon an old friend dressed in rags and half-starved and say, “Good morning, friend! Be clothed in Christ! Be filled with the Holy Spirit!” and walk off without providing so much as a coat or a cup of soup—where does that get you? Isn’t it obvious that God-talk without God-acts is outrageous nonsense?
I can already hear one of you agreeing by saying, “Sounds good. You take care of the faith department, I’ll handle the works department.” Not so fast. You can no more show me your works apart from your faith than I can show you my faith apart from my works. Faith and works, works and faith, fit together hand in glove.
Do I hear you professing to believe in the one and only God, but then observe you complacently sitting back as if you had done something wonderful? That’s just great. Demons do that, but what good does it do them? Use your heads! Do you suppose for a minute that you can cut faith and works in two and not end up with a corpse on your hands?"

Now those are strong words based on an alive and active faith. Don't read any of this as condemnation... whenever did that prove to be an effective motivator? Exactly! Truly... this is an encouragement. The Lord has told us He has put a gift in us so that we can be part of building the body [Ephesians 4:12. 1 Corinthians 12]. He chose to do this. He wants us to grow into the people we can be. He has invited us (Great Commission) into this fantastic journey of bringing people into the family and helping them to get grounded and become effective.

The marvelous aspect is that it really is never too late to realize and act on that though works don't come first... they do come. Works express our faith and there is no little act. But you are needed. We can ask. The Lord can direct. BUT, it's always, always, always your decision. 

Come grab my hand and let us go forth into doing the Father's business.

No comments:

Post a Comment