Wednesday, July 6, 2022

ouch, ouch, ouch

Slipping, falling, scraping my knees, none of that is fun. But it happens. I’m not sure we can ever avoid the scrapes of life regardless of their origin. BUT we can learn from them. And our learning, understanding is crucial in not repeating. Part of what we need to do is not look at the cause first, look to the scriptural resolution. 'Blame' can be attributed after the fact though blame rarely causes learning. 

We have one of 2 choices: learning or repeating our mistakes. There’s an old saying that says “if you’re in a test, pass It!”. I don’t know about you but I find myself sometimes repeating lessons because I really didn’t learn what I needed to know the first time. However, I do think I’m getting better at recognizing when the path is familiar so that I learn the lesson quicker.

When it is our mistake that's cause the ouch, then we can look to:

   "Therefore humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God [set aside self-
    righteous pride], so that He may exalt you [to a place of honor in His service]
    at the appropriate time, casting all your cares [all your anxieties, all your
    worries, and all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares about
    you [with deepest affection, and watches over you very carefully]. 
    [1 Peter 5:6-7]

These scriptures tell us what we need to do; humble ourselves and cast. Both acts are rarely easy. But look at what happens when we do - God exalts us because He cares about us. He wants us to grow, to learn so that we can become His workmanship {Ephesians 2;10]. I don't think the Father's behavior is to punish us though He does chastise us [Hebrews 12:7]. But look at the 'why' in these verses. Ultimately it is our attitude, how we receive that determines if we grow or repeat.

   "If we [freely] admit that we have sinned and confess our sins, He is faithful
    and just [true to His own nature and promises], and will forgive our sins and
    cleanse us continually from all unrighteousness [our wrongdoing, everything
    not in conformity with His will and purpose]. If we say that we have not sinned
    [refusing to admit acts of sin], we make Him [out to be] a liar [by contradicting
    Him] and His word is not in us.
    My little children (believers, dear ones), I am writing you these things so that
    you will not sin and violate God’s law. And if anyone sins, we have an Advocate
    [who will intercede for us] with the Father: Jesus Christ the righteous [the
    upright, the just One, who conforms to the Father’s will in every way—purpose,
    thought, and action]." [1 John 1:9-2:1]

These verses should give you not only a methodology but a rationale as well as knowing the results from our actions. Personally, I have always loved these verses because they bring hope and peace - something I need in my life. I see that when I do confess, I am restored because I have an Advocate who intercedes for me! Why would I not respond?

   "It is because of the Lord’s lovingkindnesses that we are not consumed, 
    Because His [tender] compassions never fail. They are new every
    morning; Great and beyond measure is Your faithfulness. The Lord is my
    portion and my inheritance,” says my soul; Therefore I have hope in Him and
    wait expectantly for Him. The Lord is good to those who wait [confidently] for
    Him, To those who seek Him [on the authority of God’s word]." 
    [Lamentations 3:22-25]

For those who say they are entirely innocent - not their fault. Really? Look to Psalm 51: 2-4 and Proverbs 28: 13-14. And if you can still contend you don't deserve reproach...

No comments:

Post a Comment