Tuesday, May 7, 2024

Answers

I ask a lot of questions though I rarely give answers. There are a couple of reasons for this … one is I don’t like to teach and write from the answer. Teaching, writing from the question is far more creative and fun. And yet, when it is spiritual matters there really is only one answer and the source never changes. The scriptures really are the only source for the answer. So I've slightly amended my thinking to: teach, write, learn from scripture, but still ask questions to help the reader/student/self continue seeking their understanding FROM scripture. 

Another reason is that answers have to be personalized and operationalize and will be more internalized when you make the discovery for yourself. Of course I provide my answer but I always challenge the reader/student. I’m not infallible and we do see through a mirror dimly, which means I’m always open to iron sharpening iron. And I may 'hint' at my answer but I want the person to make their discoveries so that whatever is discovered is theirs and not just the 'teacher'. 

And NO, this does not mean that there are multiple answers to the same question. What scripture says IS the answer. But I also challenge the person to find supportive scriptures because they are always there and confirm the answer. Obviously the danger is taking a scripture verse in part and not the whole nor in context, which can change the meaning and also understanding how the words are defined. All this is involved in our growing. With a question based approach we are on a mutual journey of discovery.

Admittedly, I do enjoy the give and take of learning and teaching but it is truth that we are discovering not bending what you think you've discovered to blend with what you think. The Spirit is ALWAYS the guide, the director in this and we need His help to know what we know and act on it from a base of confidence.

   "But the Helper (Comforter, Advocate, Intercessor—Counselor, Strengthener, Standby), the Holy Spirit, whom the Father will send in My name [in My place, to represent Me and act on My behalf], He will teach you all things. And He will help you remember everything that I have told you." [John 14:26]

This verse accomplishes a great deal: 1. It indicates Who is coming and Why, 2. Who the source is, 3. The specifics of what He will do: reach, help us remember.
Point being... the Holy Spirit will aid us in understanding. And look at the role of the Holy Spirit: helper/comforter/advocate/intercessor/counselor/strengthener/
standby.

   " Be assured that the testing of your faith [through experience] produces endurance [leading to spiritual maturity, and inner peace]. And let endurance have its perfect result and do a thorough work, so that you may be perfect and completely developed [in your faith], lacking in nothing
If any of you lacks wisdom [to guide him through a decision or circumstance], he is to ask of [our benevolent] God, who gives to everyone generously and without rebuke or blame, and it will be given to him." [James 1:3-5]

To me James is telling me that it is alright to question as long as we turn to the answer-er, the Father. He isn't upset with questions, but I might suggest that He might be disappointed if we stop there. Answer abound in scripture, the Father has given the Bible to us to aid in our growth, understanding AND application. He never temps, He does test and correct so that we are lacking in nothing.

The road to Answers is found in our desire and commitment to learn and apply our lessons, to share what we've discovered to expand our answers. For me, questions are the path to answers.

No comments:

Post a Comment