Sunday, April 28, 2024

I sometimes wobble

In my own defense… I think we all do. What is a ‘wobble’? Typically unintentional as well as unthinking - it’s when we think, speak, or act without considering what we may be implying to the recipient (including ourselves) nor the consequences from those words or actions. Really, this is 'no little thing' - and wobbling is not really a good thing. I suspect the point is that when we catch ourselves wobbling, that we should stop and change what we're doing or thinking but only after we've taken stock of the potential 'whys' we may be wobbling. 

When wobbling, it's important to remember that intentional and intense are Not related. Intentional is being aware and intense is an expression - typically passionate. Ask yourself... why am I experiencing this? What have I done or not done that seems to lead me this way? Then ask yourself... how do I change where I am to where I should or need to be? I've discovered that sometimes when I'm wobbling, it's an excuse or an escape from what's going on. You?

My wobblings and yours may not be for the same reasons, but we need to know our reasons. But even more important... we need to know not just how to cope with these times, but to control them. I discovered this on Google:

   "The spirit of confusion is a weapon of the enemy. He unleashes demonic activity through mental, emotional or physical confusion in order to manipulate and assault our minds. Confusion, from its Latin root means “to pour together." This sense of being “poured together” is leaving many of us feeling overwhelmed."

That's a good description of 'wobble'! Confusion is what we're experiencing, at least in part. I decided that I would look to scripture for my answer(s). Are you experiencing confusion... do you know what to do? Consider 2 Corinthians:

   "We are pressured in every way [hedged in], but not crushed; perplexed [unsure of finding a way out], but not driven to despair; hunted down and persecuted, but not deserted [to stand alone]; struck down, but never destroyed; always carrying around in the body the dying of Jesus, so that the [resurrection] life of Jesus also may be shown in our body." (v. 8-10)

This is a description of wobble and an answer. Looking at other verses that discuss this 'condition', one confirmation is 2 Timothy 1:7

   "For God did not give us a spirit of timidity or cowardice or fear, but [He has given us a spirit] of power and of love and of sound judgment and personal discipline [abilities that result in a calm, well-balanced mind and self-control]."

Sometimes a wobble occurs when we forget who we are and whose we are. We forget what's been done for us, what's available for us. When we do 'come to ourselves'... we can see who's behind our wobble and dispense with him. The 'sound mind' part of 2 Timothy should be preeminent. 
                               Wobbles: 0, Who I'm becoming: 1.

No comments:

Post a Comment